The innovative science activities offered on the Rutgers Science Explorer are designed to enhance existing middle school science programs. Enthusiastic scientists and Rutgers students staff the bus and serve as role models for middle school students. The Rutgers Science Explorer program has the following goals:
- to engage and excite young students with standards-based, hands-on activities;
- to infuse contemporary science into middle school programs through interactions with Rutgers graduate and undergraduate students, faculty, and staff;
- to provide students with an opportunity to use state-of-the-art equipment and the tools of technology;
- to establish and maintain partnerships between Rutgers and middle schools across New Jersey;
- to become an ongoing resource for teachers and school districts.