The STEM Graduate Students in K-12 Education project builds and maintains learning communities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) through educational partnerships involving Rutgers University and local school districts. In this project, Rutgers graduate students who are enrolled in doctoral programs at the University’s School of Environmental Sciences (SEBS), School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) and Graduate School of Molecular Biosciences (GSBS) will bring the excitement of contemporary science and mathematics research into the pre-college classroom, and enrich science and mathematics programs in middle schools.
- There are multiple positions available for the Spring 2018 running until June 2018.
- Graduate students who are accepted for these positions will conduct activities on the Rutgers Science Explorer – the Science Bus. Accepted graduate students are expected to work a minimum of 2 days a month (16 hours) at a middle school in New Jersey. Some presentations may overlap with the events at the Rutgers Geology Museum and the Math and Science Learning Center.
- Attendance to a half day training session is required.
SUPPORT FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
- Graduate students who are accepted will be paid at an hourly rate of $40.00/hour up to a maximum of $3,000 over the academic year.
- Open to graduate students enrolled in STEM programs at Rutgers University, New Brunswick Campus.
- Strong preference will be given to Ph.D. candidates. Applicants should demonstrate an interest incombining their research interests with teaching.
- Graduate students must be citizens, nationals or permanent residents of the United States.
- Application will be open until the positions are filled.
- Candidates will be interviewed. Notification of acceptance will be made within a week of the interview date.
- Applications can be submitted electronically. However hard copy of the endorsement page signed by your graduate program advisor must be received before your first day working on board of the Rutgers Science Explorer.
Send completed, signed endorsement form to:
Dr. Patricia Irizarry, Program Coordinator
Rutgers University ARC Building, 3rd floor
Busch Campus 618 Allison Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854
More information about the Rutgers Science Explorer can be found at: http://sciencebus.rutgers.edu